We think the costs will be around £10-15 per head but I've yet to finalise this. It is a bit cheaper than normal because London is a short distance from Peterborough and we will be able to use my mother's home as a base - thus minimising accommodation costs. Anybody wanting to attend should let me know at roger dot morris at Pipex dot com - I will put you in contact with the organiser Amanda Morgan.
|Hoverfly identification course run at Yarner Wood near Exeter in March 2012|
Morning 1 Start around 9.30
- Introductory talk - the Syrphidae (lasts about 2 hours)
- Talked-through run through the key to Tribes - this usually takes up the final bit of the morning.
Afternoon 1 end around 5pm
- Pupils work through specimens - taking a wide number through the key to tribes (duration depends upon ability of the group)
- Variable - may do a talked through run at keys to species (dependent upon ability of the group).
Morning 2 start 9.30
- Talked through run at keys to species /pupils run specimens to species
- Session stops at various points to explain features e.g. wing venation
- Talk on preparing specimens etc.
Afternoon 2 end around 4 pm
- Talk on 'finding hoverflies'
- Further specimen ID
- Talk on the Recording scheme etc.
We will provide:
- 12 Microscopes
- 12 Sets of course literature (charged at £6.00 per person)
- All specimens & broader collection
- Powerpoint presentations - we usually bring a computer
What the organisers need to provide
- Sufficient bench space for 12 students – layout ideally in a standard classroom format.
- Powerpoint projector & screen (if advised in advance we can provide a projector)
- Tea/Coffee facilities
Costs etc - we charge for:
Fuel, tolls etc
Work on £70-80 per night for a twin room + £30 per day for subsistence = £220
Cost of course handouts - a new version of the key to tribes in colour + a package of additional information
£6 per set per person - with a class of 12 (max) this would be £72